Friday, June 20, 2014

Rainy Days and Mondays.....hey wait isn't it Friday


 It's Friday but seems like a rainy Monday.  I have actually had time to do 2 count them 2 posts here in our blog.  So much happening in the past 24 hours it wouldn't all fit.  So the latest update in the fuel pump saga.  Mike spoke with the diesel place and they told him they "hope" to be out Monday to install the new and improved fuel pump. They also told him how much it was going to cost and well let's just say Holy S _ _ T.  It didn't cost that much to outfit our soon be grandsons room.  But as everyone keeps reminding me it's all part of owning a boat.  Personally I think the boat owns us.  Anyway back to rainy Fridays.

So what do you do on a rainy day in a boat.  Well Mike practices his guitar, surfs the net, plays his pirate game and search for the daily crossword on line.











I (the first mate) on the other hand COOKS.  Since the temperature was cool I decided to heat up the boat a little and put my oven to use.  As a boater you are always looking for some kind of "snacky' thing to share with others.  Whether you have been invited for a meal or getting together for movie night or just having friends stop by for a visit.  I always like to have things on hand to offer folks to snack on.  Well today I tried my hand at making Ranch Oyster Crackers.  My Mom used to make these all the time around the holidays.  (Not sure why she didn't make them any other time).  So I thought why not try making them in my galley.  (Recipe to follow).  I made them in small batches as my oven is small.  They turned out "really good" to quote the Captain. Hopefully they will keep for a while in a zip lock bag.  That is if I can keep the Captain out of them.


Ranch Oyster Crackers

1 package of Oyster Crackers
1 package of dried Ranch Dressing Mix (I used the store brand)
3/4 cup oil (canola or vegetable)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or salt
1/4 teaspoon of dill (I didn't have this on hand at the time and they tasted fine with out it)

Mix all ingredients together except for the crackers.  Then pour the liquid over the crackers and mix well so that crackers are coated evenly.  Spread out on a pan and put in the oven at 300 degrees.  I cooked mine for about 20 minutes but had to watch them closely since I was using a toaster oven.  Take out of oven when golden brown and spread out on a paper towel till cooled.  Then put into an airtight container or plastic bag.  Great snack and low cost.

1 comment:

  1. I just read every post and looked at every picture! Can't wait for more. :) Have a safe trip and keep posting!!

    ReplyDelete