Saturday, July 18, 2015

Trenton, day 2 & 3

Friday here in Trenton was a wet one.  The morning started out cloudy and the temperature was struggling to get up to 50 degrees. Time for a blanket and some hot tea.   Mike had plans of going to the Canadian Air Force Museum, while I stayed back and did some boat chores (laundry mostly), but since the weather was pretty threatening most of the day he decided to hang out on the boat.  I spent most of the morning doing laundry and was happy to do so.  Yes as I have said before I am one of the strange ones that enjoys doing laundry, specially in facilities like the ones here at Trent Port Marina.  They had 3 large front load washer and 3 front load dryers, plus free detergent and dryer sheets.  It made doing laundry a treat, compared to other places we have used.  Plus you always get to meet new folks while doing laundry.
They had three sets of these babies for the boaters to use.

And not that I usually blog about bathrooms, but this one was worthy of it.  These bath/shower rooms were like a posh hotel, clean, new, private and better than anything I have ever had in my own home.  Needless to say we have taken several "hollywood showers" since we have been here.

Just the best we have seen in a long time.

Okay now on to other stuff...

Since the weather was rather unpredictable most of the day and a bit chilly we stayed on board the majority of the day, reading, blogging, surfing the net and attending to some indoor boat chores.  We did venture out for lunch, rain gear and all and stopped at a place called Tomassos.  The food was good and service was very nice.  We then took a walk down by the river over towards the marina, found out too that the path goes under the road so this way we didn't have to fight traffic.  

A flower at lunch, yes on rainy days I play with photos.

Once again wearing our fashionable rain gear. LOL

Saw this boat just as we passed under the road, she is a beauty and from Louisiana 

I must admit on rainy days it has a tendency to make one either a little grumpy or sad and that seemed to hit both of us.  First mate being the sad one and Captain being a bit grumpy since he somehow got locked out of his email and was battling with Yahoo to get back in.  I was just having one of those days that I was missing the kids and Grandsons.  We were able to Skype with our youngest Amanda and her husband and got to see our youngest Grandson crawl for the first time.  Oh the joys of Skyping it really does help.  Along with pictures she sends to us of the little guy.

Grandma and Papa had a prize sent to him for his 1st birthday since we won't be there.

At 9:30 I decided to turn in for the night and do a little reading.  (Yes I normally turn in that early and rise early in the morning).  But a little before 10:00 p.m. the fireworks started going off.  We knew that they originally had planned to set some off for this festival that is going on, but because of the rain we thought they might have cancelled them, well guess what they didn't.  The rain had stopped and we were treated to an amazing fireworks display literally right out our window.  Didn't even have to leave the boat.




This one almost made it look like to boat was being attacked.



What a great ending to a rainy day.

Saturday turned out to be a much brighter day.  We rode our bikes up to the first lock in order to buy our lock pass.  We figured if we bought it ahead of time getting through the first lock in the morning would be faster.  It was a round trip ride of 8 miles.  The gentleman at the lock was so nice and gave us all kinds of information regarding the locks and surrounding areas.  These lock are manually operated.  Whew I am not sure I could do that job everyday.

We saw our neighbors from the marina, Floyd and Linda from Witchita, KS catching the first lock through.  Hope to see them again along the way.

Yes they turn these manually, lot different than in New York.

We will pass through this lock on Sunday morning.

On our way back from Lock 1 Mike and I split up, he was on his way over to the Air Force Museum (which he will post about later) and I made my way back to the canal and to the farmers market.  The farmers market was quite nice with an assortment of items for sale.  I looked at everything but ended up only buying some butter tarts (our own this time).  We had produce on board already that needed eating.  After perusing through the market I stopped for a while to watch the Dragon Boat Races.  I had never heard of these before but it was a lot of fun to watch.

Farmers Market every Thursday and Saturday 9-2

I couldn't help but think of my Mom when I saw all these hand knit children's sweaters. She had made dozens for our kids.

"Flowers are Food for the Sou"l is what the sign says, ain't it the truth!

Speaking of flowers

And yummy looking produce

These boat races where fascinating to watch.








This was a group of policemen and women.


On the way back from the boat races I cut under the road with my bike and stopped by Frazier Park, where they had some beautiful flowers.  This is where the old transient docks used to be adjacent to.  After a stroll through the park and some picture taking of course I headed back to the boat for a small lunch and some reading on the fly bridge.  I had a good couple of hours before Mike returned and enjoyed my solitude for a while.  Who knows what this evening will bring, but tomorrow morning bright and early we are off to the Trent Severn Waterway.

Another look at the festival.  I opted to just watch from up here for a while.

Clock tower

Beautiful flowers in the park

First Mate stopped to enjoy the flowers.  I may not have my own anymore but boy there are plenty around to enjoy.

Relaxing with a good book up on the fly bridge.











No comments:

Post a Comment